Karma in Buddhism: reincarnation and rebirth
In both Hinduism and Buddhism karma is the mechanism by which our next rebirth is 'decided'. This decision is not made by some external God, but by our own consciousness at the time of death. Unfortunately, we're usually not at our most aware at that moment, so our consciousness is just thrown where it happens to be.
Our consciousness continues patterns that have been created throughout our lives and that the last moment of this one is therefore pre-programmed to pick one of the options our previous moments of consciousness have made possible.
Rebirth is possible in all kinds of births: animal, human, God and hell-being. Thankfully, the latter can be interpreted figuratively, according to the famous Indian Buddhist philosopher Vasubandhu. In other words: we're in hell when we're suicidal, for instance. However, popular Buddhism does take the hells and other realms of existence literally.
- Books on rebirth and karma
- Essays on Karma, book by Katinka Hesselink
- Karma in Buddhism, Hans Wolfgang Schuman
- Karma: It's not about Fatalism, Bhikkhu Thanissaro
- Karma and Reincarnation: optimism vs pessimism, Katinka Hesselink
- Anatta (Non-self) and Kamma (Karma); The Best Kept Secret in the Universe, by Ajahn Jagaro
- Atmanin Sunyata and the Sunyata of Atman; An attempt to reconcile the alleged difference between Buddhism and Advaita Vedanta on the nature of the Self, by Bijoy H. Boruah
- Anatma, no Soul, Buddha Nature, Vedantins vs Buddhism, Katinka Hesselink
- Self, world and incarnation, Mark Harriss on the self and the question of 'what is it that reincarnates or is reborn?'
- Our experienced reality – aka Buddhism and The Secret, Katinka Hesselink (the Law of Attraction explored from a Buddhist perspective)
- Merits, commented on by Hui Neng, Buddhist Zen Master and sixth patriarch
- Past Lives and their spiritual meaning, What does my past life say about me now? Katinka Hesselink
- Inattention & past lives: Buddhist story about rebirth
- Reincarnation of the personality? If they can find reincarnated lamas, why can't I find the rebirth of my father? Katinka Hesselink
- Theravada Buddhism: Buddha quotes on karma
- Buddhist quotes about rebirth, reincarnation and karma