Daily Practice from the Dalai Lama
The Dalai Lama has asked
that the following practice be shared with as many people as possible.
A group recently spent five days visiting with the Dalai Lama focusing
upon what they believe are the five most important questions to be
considered as we move into the millenium. The five questions were:
- How do we address the widening gap between rich and poor?
- How do we protect the earth?
- How do we educate our children?
- How do we help Tibet and other oppressed countries and peoples of the world?
- How do we bring spirituality (deep caring for one another) through all disciplines of life?
Dalai Lama said all five questions fall under the last one. If we have
true compassion in our hearts, our children will be educated wisely, we
will care for the earth, those who "have not" will be cared for. The
group asked the Dalai Lama, "Do you think love on the planet is
increasing or staying the same? His response: "My experience leads me
to believe that love IS increasing." He shared a simple practice that
will increase love and compassion in the world. He asked everyone in
the group to share it with as many people as they can.
- Spend 5 minutes at the beginning of each day remembering we all want the same things (to be happy and to be loved) and we are all connected to one another.
- Spend 5 minutes breathing in cherishing yourself, and breathing out cherishing others. If you think about people you have difficulty cherishing, extend your cherishing to them anyway.
- During the day extend that attitude to everyone you meet. Practice cherishing the "simplest" person (clerks, attendants, etc.) as well as the "important" people in your life, cherish the people you love and the people you dislike.
- Continue this practice no matter what happens or what anyone does to you.
thoughts are very simple, inspiring and helpful. The practice of
cherishing can be taken very deep if done wordlessly, allowing yourself
to feel the love and appreciation that already exists in your heart.
Will you commit to creating Peace in yourself and thereby "On Earth" by spending 10 minutes a day with this simple meditation? Peace on Earth, Good will To All. It’s not a season. It’s a daily practice. Please pass this on to as many people as you can.