Links > Quotes
Rare Quotes and Interesting Sayings
Why I like Rare Quotations, Famous Sayings and Proverbs
I like Quotes, Proverbs, and Sayings because they have the ability to express a lot in a few words. No need to exhaust your energy when you can put forth your view in a very clear and concise manner with the help of what others have already said.
I also find them interesting as Proverbs help us know more about different Societies where they emerged from. Overall a nice way to learn and spread the knowledge. You'll find politicians, scientists, humanitarians and comedians quoted on this page. Hope visitors will find this page interesting and engaging.
Please share your favorite quotes to enrich this page. This page was started by a man - who featured three men... To balance things out I found quotes from a few famous women.
Elisabeth Kubler-Ross Quote (1926-2004)
We need to teach the next generation of children from day one that they are responsible for their lives. Mankind's greatest gift, also its greatest curse, is that we have free choice. We can make our choices built from love or from fear.
Pioneer in dealing and studying death
From: "In "The Speaker's Electronic Reference Collection," AApex Software, 1994."
John Lennon quote on life
- Mom and Dad quotes
- Sentimental quotes about what parents do for their children.
- My Spiritual Quotes
- Short uplifting quotes and inspirational sayings
Not all who wander are lost.
- Jiddu Krishnamurti quotes
- Krishnamurti quotations, historical information, personal remembrances and questions he asked.
- Random Spiritual Quotes and Spiritual Sayings
- Random spiritual quotes and sayings from various wisdom traditions like buddhism, theosophy, sufism and independent spiritual teachers like Jiddu Krishnamurti, Richard Bach and more.
This is the day the Lord has made;
let us rejoice and be glad in it.
- Short Wisdom Quotes and Aphorisms - Spiritual Quotations
- Religious quotations from various spiritual traditions: christianity, theosophy, sufism, Jiddu Krishnamurti, Blavatsky and more.
Charlie Chaplin Quotes
A man's true character comes out when he's drunk.
All I need to make a comedy is a park, a policeman and a pretty girl.
I don't believe that the public knows what it wants; this is the conclusion that I have drawn from my career.
I went into the business for the money, and the art grew out of it. If people are disillusioned by that remark, I can't help it. It's the truth.
Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles.
I have no further use for America. I wouldn't go back there even if Jesus Christ was President.
- Anthony de Mello quotes
- Inspiring quotations on spiritual liberation and living inspired.
Rocky Quote about Perseverance
- Thich Nhat Hanh quotes on Buddhism, Love and Meditation
- Articles, quotes on peace and buddhism and a biography.
- Dalai Lama quotes on life, Buddhism and peace
- The various threads of Mahayana Buddhism explained.
Groucho Marx Quotes
Humor quotes by Comedians
I became acquainted with Groucho Marx through his quotes on the Internet. Though I have still to catch a movie by this American master of comedy, I really enjoy the quotes. They are really deep and meaningful, what makes them special are that they arn't serious at all. Enjoy some of the Groucho quotes I like the most.
I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
I have had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it.
I read in the newspapers they are going to have 30 minutes of intellectual stuff on television every Monday from 7:30 to 8. to educate America. They couldn't educate America if they started at 6:30.
Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?
Military intelligence is a contradiction in terms.
- Theosophy quotations
- Random spiritual quotes and sayings from Helena Petrovna Blavatsky and her teachers the Mahatmas Koot Hoomi and Morya
- Sufi Spiritual Quotes, Beautiful Sufi Quotes
- Beautiful and inspiring quotations from the sufi tradition.
Jane Austen (1775-1817) Quote
I do not want people to be very agreeable, it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal.
Jane Austen is my favorite author; From: "Webster's Electronic Quotebase," ed. Keith Mohler, 1994.
- List of Zen Buddhism Quotes - Buddha's World
- Short Spiritual Quotations from the Zen Buddhist tradition
- Who is Khalil Gibran Quotes from The Prophet
- Artist, Poet and Spiritual teacher - great quotes for use in your facebook status
Florence Nightingale quote (1820-1910)
Were there none who were discontented with what they have, the world would never reach anything better.
In "Cassandra," 1852.
- List of Lao Tse quotes from the Tao Te Ching
- According to tradition, the Tao Te Ching (or Dao De Djing) was written around the 6th century BC by the sage Laozi (or Lao Tzu, Lao Tse, "Old Master"), a record-keeper at the Zhou Dynasty court. In fact, in China the text is known by his name. Whoever wrote the text and when it was composed are issues scholars still debate.
Margaret Fuller quote (1810-1850)
Beware of over-great pleasure in being popular or even beloved.
US critic, social reformer, writer. She was the first U.S. foreign correspondent. From a letter, 20 Dec 1840, in "The Feminist Papers," 1973.
- The Upanishads quotes, sayings and concepts
- The philosophical basis of Hinduism and Advaita
Margaret Mead Quote
I must admit I personally measure success in terms of the contributions an individual makes to her or his fellow human beings.
Margaret Mead was a US anthropologist, author. From "Redbook Magazine."
Mahatma Gandhi Quotations
Mahatma Gandhi was one of the most famous personalities of the 20th century. He inspired millions of Indians to stop supporting the then British Government and inspired other revolutionary leaders across the world. Featured below are some quotes by this great man.
The weak can never forgive.
Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
God has no religion.
The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
When I admire the wonder of a sunset or the beauty of the moon, my soul expands in worship of the Creator.
As long as you derive inner help and comfort from anything, keep it.
I believe in equality for everyone, except reporters and photographers.
Indolence is a delightful but distressing state; we must be doing something to be happy.
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.
- A Course in Miracles - famous quotes and sayings
- One of the deepest hyped spiritual books of the late 20th century is 'a Course in Miracles' (also known as ACIM). It uses Christian symbols and imagery, but the message is universal and strongly reminiscent of Eastern spirituality (mainly Vedanta).
Mary Wollstonecraft (1759-1797)
Taught from infancy that beauty is woman's scepter, the mind shapes itself to the body, and roaming round its gilt cage, only seeks to adorn its prison.
English writer, women's rights activist. From "A Vindication of the Rights of Women," ch. 3, 1792.
- Anti Religious Quotes and Sayings
- I've made a lot of pages where people can share their favorite spiritual and religious quotes. One day someone came along who wanted to share some anti-religious quotes. I'm a tolerant person and I feel anti-religious sentiments are quite justified up to a point. So here's your chance: convince the world that religion is nonsense by sharing your best anti-religious quotations.
- Agnostic and Atheistic Quotes
Chingis Khan Quotes
The Greatest Conqueror Ever
Chingis Khan is the greatest conqueror this world has seen. He united different tribes, gave them a common identity, and set forth conquering foreign lands. The map above shows the speed with which Mongols over ran country after country.
Too bad due to the Western Dominance today, Chingis Khan and his descendants are portrayed as brainless barbarians.
I really like quotes attributed to him. Below are some of the choicest ones.
"Heaven has appointed me to rule all the nations, for hitherto there has been no order upon the steppes."
"It is not sufficient that I succeed - all others must fail."
"I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
"The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy, to drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters."
"Perhaps my children will live in stone houses and walled towns - Not I"
"With Heaven's aid I have conquered for you a huge empire. But my life was too short to achieve the conquest of the world. That task is left for you."
- God in the Bible - quotes
- What does the Bible say about God?
Barack Obama Quote
H.H. the Dalai Lama quotations
I really admire the Dalai Lama (Dalai = Ocean in Mongolian ... Lama = Guru in Tibetian). He follows Chingis Khan on this page for a reason. The first Dalai Lama Gendun Drup was appointed by Chingis Khan. Below are some of the quotes attributed to the present Dalai Lama - Tenzin Gyatso.
"Our enemies provide us with a precious opportunity to practice patience and love. We should have gratitude toward them."
"There is an old Tibetan saying: wherever you feel at home, you are at home. If your surroundings are pleasant, you are at home."
"There can be no peace as long as there is grinding poverty, social injustice, inequality, oppression, environmental degradation, and as long as the weak and small continue to be trodden by the mighty and powerful."
"If an individual has a calm state of mind, that person's attitudes and views will be calm and tranquil even in the presence of great agitation."
"When things are desperate, there is no need to pretend that everything is beautiful."
Quotes from http://thinkexist.com/quotes/tenzin_gyatso,_the_14th_dalai_lama/ For Short Biographies of Dalai Lamas please visit ~ Dalai Lama
Best Dalai Lama Quotes Posters
I've found you Dalai Lama Posters featuring him and an inspiring quote, as well as simply great picture of him that you can get framed.
A most inspiring man.
- Tibetan Buddhism Quotes and Inspiration
- Tibetan Buddhism is probably best known for the Dalai Lama and his peaceful attitude in the face of Chinese violence and oppression. But there's more to Tibetan Buddhism than that. I've found you Tibetan Buddhist quotes on the essence of life, love and enlightenment.
Amelia Earhart quote
Women must pay for everything. . . . They do get more glory than men for comparable feats, But, also, women get more notoriety.
The first woman to solo across the Atlantic and from Hawaii to California;
Found in: "In "The Speaker's Electronic Reference Collection," AApex Software, 1994."
- Witches Sayings and Pagan Abbreviations
- Wicca and Paganism for Beginners - every day sayings
- Who is Thich Nhat Hanh quotes: Peace and Zen Buddhism
- Zen teacher from Vietnam
Mother Teresa quote (1910-1997)
"We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop."
From "A Gift for God," "Carriers of Christ's Love," 1975.
- Rumi quotes on life
- What's more important to us than Life? I would not know. These are some quotes of Jaladin Rumi, aka Mevlana, about this most important of issues to think about every once in a while. What are the most important priorities in life? What makes it worth while? Rumi had inspiring thoughts on the subject.
Marie Curie Quote
Be less curious about people and more curious about ideas.
Famous chemist who pioneered the study of radioactivity, two time winner of the Nobel Prize.
From: "In "The Speaker's Electronic Reference Collection," AApex Software, 1994."