Abraham Joshua Heschel
- The problem to be faced is: how to combine loyalty to one's
own tradition with reverence for different traditions.
Father Dominique Pire
- Let us not speak of tolerance. This negative word implies grudging concessions by
Rather, let us speak of mutual understanding and mutual respect.
- Collective fear stimulates herd instinct, and tends to produce ferocity toward those who are not
regarded as members of the herd.
What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity.
We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly - that is the first law of nature.
Eleanor Holmes Norton
- The only way to make sure people you agree with can speak is to support the rights of people
you don't agree with.
Mohandas K. Gandhi
- It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world. If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's
religions is a sacred duty.
- Rene Dubos
(Celebrations of Life, 1981)
- Human diversity makes tolerance more than a virtue; it makes it a requirement for
- W. Somerset Maugham (1874-1965)
British novelist and playwright
- Tolerance is
only another name for indifference.
Robert F. Kennedy
- Ultimately, America's answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our
heritage of religious freedom has inspired.
John F. Kennedy
- Tolerance implies no lack of commitment to one's own beliefs. Rather it
condemns the oppression or persecution of others.
John F. Kennedy
- World peace, like community peace, does not require that each man love his neighbor -- it requires only that they live together with mutual tolerance, submitting their disputes to a just and peaceful settlement.
Ralph W. Sockman
test of courage comes when we are in the minority.
The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority.
Edmund Burke (1729-1797) British political writer
There is a limit at which forbearance ceases to be a virtue.
- I have learned silence from the talkative, tolerance from the intolerant, and kindness from
yet strangely, I am ungrateful to these teachers.
- It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it.