Best books about the world religions
Getting to know the world religions? Here's some books to help you do just that!
I've made several reviews of books about the world religions: Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Christianity, Judaism etc. I've also found you some books about religion in general. Take your pick. I hope you're as fascinated by them as I am...
Highly recommended if you want an overview of all world religions is the beautifully illustrated Nelson's Illustrated Guide to Religions: A Comprehensive Introduction to the Religions of the World
Islam - Religious views, rituals and customs
- In Islam today Sufism has become a controversial topic, just as mysticism is in Christian circles. At the same time Sufism is the one area of Islam westerners can feel comfortable with: it’s more liberal outlook is a welcome relief...
- An Introductory selection of readings from the Quran
- Islamic Upbringing for Muslim Kids
On a previous version of this page the religions were represented as follows, according to what 446 people said was their favorite religion:
- 52% Islam
- 15% Buddhism
- 13% Hinduism
- 11% Christianity
- The rest of the listed traditions got only 3% of votes or less: Judaism, Sikhism, Confucianism, Taoism, Wicca, Paganism and Bahai.
Obviously this says more about the kind of visitors to that page, than about what is really most popular world-wide.
- Jalaladin Rumi was born in Wakhsh in Tajikistan on the 30th September 1207 to a family of learned Muslim theologians. Escaping the Mongol invasion and destruction,...
Best Books On Religion and Spirituality
I have picked some of the best books about religion that may help you on your journey while here on earth. They would make great gifts for someone on your gift list, too.
When we as humans begin to look at our inner self or our souls we are in essence looking at our Spirituality. We are possibly contemplating where we fit in to the scheme of the universe and are wanting to improve our lives to include love, compassion and an inner peace. Some might say they want to walk a spiritual path and are looking for answers in how to accomplish this. We might have decided that we no longer want to be weighed down by the materialistic issues of society but would rather take time to work on our inner-being. We might start to meditate or pray about finding and working on our spirit. We find ourselves contemplating what the cosmos can reveal in non-physical way.
Looking at our own spiritual path and growth can be connected to a specific faith tradition but it does not have to be. We may find that our own journey does not fit into a specific religion but that does not diminish our desire to live in a way that is kind, loving and peaceful. Usually our spirituality will include the belief that there is a higher being or beings or a Creator of one form or another. A spiritual person seems to know that there is something out there it is bigger than we humans and wants to connect in the way that they are meant to.
- These books explain Buddhism for a modern Western audience. They generally focus on the practical aspects of Buddhism: how to live your life well and meditation. When...
A Path with Heart: A Guide Through the Perils and Promises of Spiritual Life
Buddhist monk, Jack Kornfield, teaches the importance our heart being connected to our path throughout life. Sometimes the lessons of spiritual transformation can be difficult to grasp. Kornfield gives examples that are easy to understand and grasp. Through his warm stories and metaphors we learn the way to live with compassion, meditation and attentiveness.
Published by Bantam in 1993 the paperback book contains 384 pages.
- Zen Buddhism is perhaps one of the least understood forms of Buddhism, precisely because it's so well known. On the other hand - perhaps it's the type of...
- Best Mindfulness Meditation Books
- Because modern life is so very busy, so full of sensory impressions from the internet, tv, music, traffic etc. many people need to be reminded of something most...
- Best Pema Chodron Buddhism Books
- Pema Chodron Books, Calendars, Quotes and Tibetan Buddhism information on Pema Chodron. Buddhism is becoming more popular every day. Pema Chodron's books have a lot to do with that: they offer practical advice on how to deal with the troubles a...
- Best Dalai Lama Books List
- The Dalai Lama is that unique mix of a spiritual teacher and a political leader. Unlike the Pope he is virtually uncontested as a spiritual inspiration. His...
- Best Thich Nhat Hanh Mindfulness Books
- Anybody interested in Buddhism today knows about Zen Buddhist teacher Thich Nhat Hanh. His lectures, books and videos are wildly popular because he manages...
Love is shown more in deeds than in words.
— St. Ignatius of Loyola
- The Triumph of Christianity
- A world full of Gods
- Best books about Christmas, for Children
- It's good for kids to be read to, and what better time to honor this tradition than around Christmas time? The books on this page each lend themselves to this...
- Esoteric Mystic Christianity Books
- In esoteric Christianity the experience of mystics is taken as the road before each of us: and it's seen as a road of initiation. The idea is basically that...
- Best Edgar Cayce Books
- Edgar Evans Cayce (March 18, 1877 - January 3, 1945) was a clairvoyant. He channeled answers to questions on subjects such as health or Atlantis, while in a...
Hinduism - Best religious books
- The Upanishads quotes, sayings and concepts
- The philosophical basis of Hinduism and Advaita
- Classical Hindu Mythology: A Reader in the Sanskrit Puranas
- There are several ways to approach Hindu myths. One is to study what stories Hindus tell each other these days. Another is to delve into the oldest texts containing such myths in existence. This book follows the latter method.
- The Vedas - ancient sacred literature from India
- The oldest literature in the world..
- The Bhagavad Gita, Juan Mascaro translation: quotes
- The translation I present to you here is by Juan Mascaro, who was as much a poet as a Sanskrit scholar. It's a very poetic translation that serves as a good introduction to the text. At the end of this page I have included reviews to other translatio
- Hindu Religious Books for Children
- Hindu tradition is very rich in the art of story telling and poetry. You can help your kids know the nuances of Hinduism through the help of the resources listed below and continue the ancient Guru Shishya Parampara.
- Best Books about karma and reincarnation
- Learn about karma and reincarnation from the perspective of Buddhism, Theosophy and Hinduism. But also based on the science of past life memories of children...
- Yoga Sutras by Patanjali - Science of Yoga - Taimni
- A very scholarly translation and commentary on THE yoga classic: the Yoga Sutras by Patanjali. Taimni not only explains each sutra, but also puts them in...
- The Wisdom of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras: A New Translation and Guide by Ravi Ravindra
- The yoga sutras are two thousand year old spiritual classic. In India every spiritual teacher of any note has written a commentary on it. Ravi Ravindra is the latest of Jiddu Krishnamurti’s students to do the same. For that reason alone this book will be read in theosophical circles at least.
- Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure
- Book review of an upbeat introduction to India and its spirituality: This is a great book if you want to go to India yourself – especially if you’re interested in India as the home of spirituality. I read the book in one go: couldn’t put it down.
- Sikh Religious Books for Children and Teens
- The noble principles of Sikhism - One God, Equality among human beings, meditation, living honestly and working hard, and sharing, specially with those who are in need - will give all children a strong character, which will help them lead an honest a
- Native American Spirituality from Earth based traditions: Sacred Tree: Reflections on Native American Spirituality
- Native American Elders have prophesied for many years that a time will come for The People to go back to traditional values and this will be important for a healing to occur for the planet Earth. Many feel that time is now. This guidebook explains some of these spiritual teachings from the guidance of tribal elders and traditions that in many ways have been forgotten. A great spiritual book for those who lean toward earth based traditions in their spiritual walk.
- Paperback book authored by Judie Bopp this 87 page book was first published by Lotus Press in 1984.
- Ethnic Spiritual Advice: Celtic Shamanism : By Oak, Ash, & Thorn: Modern Celtic Shamanism (Llewellyn's Celtic Wisdom)
- Most will assume that this book will be about the Druids but they would be wrong. The Celts had another shamanic tradition that they followed for their spiritual path. This book outlines an entire system that has roots to ancient times but has been modernized for the humans of today. The author offers explanations on how to read the ancient Ogam Runes plus gives tips on taking your own vision quest. A remarkable and engaging book for anyone trying to find their own spiritual practices to live by.
- Published by Llewellyn Publications in 1994 with 320 pages.
- Spiritual Healing From A New Age Perspective: The Call of Sedona: Journey of the Heart
- Sedona is known worldwide as a place of spiritual vortices and many go there for spiritual healing. This book is less about the place on a map and more about the place that your Being can be in your mind. The book encourages each person to go on a journey of their heart and gives sound advice on the healing energies of the earth. The book is about finding a greater meaning to our lives and seeking a glorious fulfillment to the life we were put here to live. Ilchi Lee, the author, has dedicated his life to teaching the energy principles available to everyone and the awakened brain.
- Very popular, though personally I did not feel it (Katinka)
- Paperback book with 240 pages by Scribner in 2012.
- Soul DNA: Your Spiritual Genetic Code Defines Your Purpose
- Author Jennifer O'Neill helps the reader discover the reasons that they are here on earth. She will teach you how to figure out what your purpose is in life. She explains the 18 Spiritual laws (different from worldly laws) that you need to do to have a fulfilled and happy life. You will find out about Spirit Guides and how they can communicate with you through symbols and images.
- Paperback book with 192 pages published in 2012 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform.