Tenzin Gyatso, His Holiness the Fourteenth Dalai Lama
The Dalai Lama is probably the most admired political leader of our time, however, he's also a Buddhist teacher. His books are very popular among people of all persuasions, because he takes the essence of Buddhism and makes it accessible to people of all faiths, whatever their religious beliefs.
Despite being born to his position himself, when he retired from political life in 2011 he took the revolutionary step of asking his people to elect his successor. I think that was very wise.
The Dalai Lama has also written books meant for a more specialized audience: Tibetan Buddhists, but that's not the kind you'll find on this page. Here you'll merely find the most popular books - and that's the ones in which Buddhist practice and philosophy is stripped to the core, to leave a wisdom that is relevant for all of us.
You'll also find a fun biography and an autobiography - just to lighten the mood a bit. And perhaps you do want to learn more about the man who continues to advocate a peaceful but firm response to the Chinese occupation of Tibet.
The articles and quotes on this page is usually from Tenzin Gyatso, the current and fourteenth Dalai Lama. He is the well known leader of Tibetan Buddhism, in exile from Tibet. Some texts are from another Dalai Lama incarnation. Accepting the theory of reincarnation, these texts are listed here as well. In those cases the link includes the name of the incarnation of the Dalai Lama involved emphasized .
- Biography of Tenzin Gyatso, the Fourteenth Dalai Lama
- Quiz about the life of Tenzin Gyatso
- The Dalai Lama interviewed by a theosophist shortly after leaving Tibet
- The Dalai Lama's life changed by the Theosophical Society
- Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World (my review)
The Dalai lama quotes on...
- Om Mani Padme Hum
- Emptiness and existence
- The Four Seals
- Meditating on compassion useful? on being too practical and realistic
- Using Illness to train the mind, the seventh Dalai Lama, Kelsang Gyatso
- Preparing to die
- Wisdom Quotes
- Quote on peace
- Daily Practice
- on Bodhicitta: the compassionate mind of Enlightenment
- on Green Living and the Environment
- on selfishness vs unselfishness
- on Love and Kindness
- on taking responsibility
- on Self Confidence
- Quotes on Happiness
- Quotes on Religious Tolerance
- Quotes on Meditation
- on Love and Kindness
- on Self Discipline and Ethics