Spiritual links > Hinduism and Yoga
Hinduism and Yoga Links
Hinduism and India: terminology
India is an ancient country. It is sacred to all religions that started there. Whether because of this or for some other reason: there are a lot of names by which India is known. Each has its own connotation.
- The official Sanskrit name of the Republic of India.
- Hindustan and Hind
- These words are usually reserved for the northern part of India, but have also used for the whole subcontinent (including current day Pakistan and Bangladesh).
- Japanese name for India. It signifies it’s place as the origin of Buddhism.
- Old name used in ancient scriptures for one of the seven continents.
Hinduism too has other names. The best known is Sanatana Dharma, which means ‘eternal law’ or ‘eternal wisdom’.
Quizzes to test your knowledge
- Yoga Sutras by patanjali - the science of Yoga, I.K. Taimni - a book review.
- Yoga Sutras by Patanjali, translation and commentary by Ravi Ravindra. Book review.
- Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
- The Vedas - ancient sacred literature from India
- Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure
- Aum, the sacred Indian mantra ; Om, Ohm - meditating unity
- The Wisdom of Patanjali's Yoga Sutras: A New Translation
- Yoga Sutras by Patanjali, Science of Yoga, by I.K. Taimni
- The Lives of Sri Aurobindo, Peter Heehs
- Search for the Soul in Everyday Living, The Mother
Yoga and Hinduism gift ideas
More information about Hinduism and Yoga
- Yoga - history and tradition from India
- The Upanishads
- Raja Yoga links
- Bhagavad Gita links
- Reincarnation in Hinduism
On yoga and meditation
- The Yoga of the Future, Hugh Shearman
- Meditation, Hugh Shearman
- Yoga Vasishta on selfreliance - abridged
- Blavatsky on mantras, yoga and mesmerism
- Blavatsky on how mantras work
- Upanishads and vedanta material